We all want what’s best for our dogs, and that includes keeping them healthy, happy, and strong. A good diet and exercise regimen are crucial to ensuring your Cavvy lives a long and cheerful life. However, just like humans, sometimes dogs need a little bit of an extra boost in the form of supplements.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the top supplements for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. From vitamins and minerals to fish oils and coat supplements, I’ll help you find the perfect addition to your dog’s diet.
Best Supplements For Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Skin & Coat Chews
- Omega-3 Fish Oil
- Fiber Supplements
- Joint Health Booster
Best Multivitamins: Solid Gold Dog Multivitamin
After trying dozens of vitamins on the market, I can safely say that my Mayo’s favorite is the Solid Gold Dog Multivitamins! It’s a great all-in-one solution for healthy pups who just need a little bit of extra boost.
Encompassing a mix of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, Solid Gold Multivitamin supports the overall health of your pet. From bolstering immune function to promoting a shiny coat, this supplement serves as an extra layer of nutritional defense, even for the healthiest of dogs.
The antioxidant component, for example, combats oxidative stress, while the included vitamins and minerals cater to the specific needs of a dog’s system, from muscle health to cognitive function.
A unique advantage of the Solid Gold Dog Multivitamin is its appealing taste, making it a favorite among dogs. It’s the perfect supplement for healthy Cavaliers that just need that little extra nutritional push.
- Vitamin C supports the immune system
- Vitamin B12 increases energy production
- Biotin is great for skin and coat health
- Full of healthy probiotics to aid digestion
- Soft chew means it’s easy for dogs to eat
- Delicious smoked bacon flavor
- Supports skin and digestive health
- May be difficult to add feeding your dog multivitamins to your routine
Best Supplements for Skin and Coat Health: Natural Dog Company Skin & Coat Chews
Keeping your Cavvy’s skin and coat looking healthy and silky is so important! To keep my pup looking as glamorous as possible, I’m using the Natural Dog Company Skin & Coat Chews.
These chews help reduce itching and irritation and are packed with vital nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and biotin, each playing a crucial role in skin and coat health. Omega-3 fatty acids promote a glossy coat, vitamin E supports skin health and combats oxidative damage, while biotin aids in the maintenance of a healthy coat and skin.
Another great thing about these chews is that they aren’t limited by age. As a matter of fact, they’re suitable for both young pups and older Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
- Organic, made from 100% natural ingredients
- Includes biotin, Omega-3, DHA, EPA, and Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
- Vet approved
- Soft chews make it easier to eat
- Full of vitamins and fatty acids
- Great for dogs with allergies
- The fishy taste may be off-putting for some dogs
Best Fish Oil Supplement for Dogs: PetHonesty Omega-3 Fish Oil
Fish oil supplements are important for dogs as well as humans. That’s why I always add a bit of PetHonesty Omega-3 Fish Oil to my Mayo’s meals.
Rich in EPA and DHA, two potent omega-3 fatty acids, this supplement provides numerous health benefits. Such as supporting brain development, strengthening the immune system, improving joint health, and many others.
My favorite feature of PetHonesty’s Omega-3 Fish Oil is its ease of use. The included metered pump simplifies the process of dosing. A mere two pumps typically suffice for a full dose, enhancing your dog’s meals and boosting their overall health with minimal fuss.
- Full of Omega-3 sourced from anchovies, herring, mackerel, and sardines
- EPA supports skin and coat health
- DHA is important for the brain and immune system
- Very easy and convenient to use
- Great for dogs who won’t eat treats or pills
- Suitable for adult and senior dogs
- Slightly expensive
- Not suitable for puppies under 6 months
Best Fiber Supplements: Fiber for Dogs Psyllium Seed Husk Powder
If your pup needs a little support in the fiber department, I recommend the Fiber for Dogs Psyllium Seed Husk Powder. It’s great for tummy issues like diarrhea and constipation, as long as you make sure your CKCS also drinks plenty of water!
Psyllium seed husk, the active ingredient in this supplement, is a highly beneficial source of soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber assists in regulating blood sugar and cholesterol levels, while insoluble fiber promotes bowel regularity by adding bulk to the stool.
The supplement is partially good for Cavaliers struggling with irregular bowel movements or digestive discomfort. However, it’s crucial to remember that fiber supplements work best when paired with adequate hydration.
Therefore, make sure your Cavvy has access to plentiful fresh water to facilitate digestion and prevent any potential dehydration.
- Features only 2 natural ingredients: Psyllium Seed Husk Powder & Dehydrated Beet Root Powder
- Veterinary formulated
- Aids a number of intestinal disorders
- Long shelf life
- Easy to add to your dog’s meals
- Very affordable
- May upset your dog’s stomach at first
Joint Health Booster: Super Snouts Joint Power
When it comes to enhancing your Cavalier’s joint health, Super Snouts Joint Power is a game-changer. This supplement, packed with New Zealand green-lipped mussels, is the ideal addition for any Cavalier experiencing mobility difficulties.
Its all-natural formulation means you won’t have to worry about unwanted fillers—just pure, joint-supporting nutrients. The cold processing technique used ensures that every beneficial component, especially the omega-3 fatty acids, remains intact and potent.
These mussels are not only good for the joints; they’re a holistic boost to your dog’s overall health. From reinforcing immune responses to promoting heart and brain health, Super Snouts Joint Power provides a broad spectrum of benefits.
- Pure New Zealand green-lipped mussel
- Cold-processed and lipid-stabilized
- Tailored for Cavaliers’ joint health needs
- Supports overall well-being
- Helps soothe exercise-related stiffness
- Price point may be higher due to premium ingredients
Do Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Need Supplements?
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, like any other dog breed, have specific nutritional needs that should ideally be met through a balanced and appropriate diet. Good-quality commercial dog food or a homemade meal tailored to their needs should cover all the necessary nutrients.
However, giving your pup the recommended amount of daily supplements can’t do harm.
While supplements may not be needed for most Cavaliers, there might be situations where they could benefit from them. If your furry friend has specific health concerns or deficiencies, it’s always a good idea to chat with your vet.
They’ll be able to give you the best advice on whether supplements are necessary to keep your Cavalier in great shape. If you are unsure about supplement usage, the best idea is to consult your vet.
Supplements to Avoid for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
You may be wondering: “Are all supplements good for my Cavalier?” and the answer is no. Some can do more harm than good, so it’s best to stay away from them. These include:
- Calcium Supplements: These can be a no-no for Cavaliers because they are prone to a spinal cord condition called Syringomyelia. Too much calcium can make it worse, so it’s best to talk to your vet about the right amount of calcium in your dog’s diet.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin: These supplements are often used to promote joint health in dogs, but our Cavvies have a higher risk of a liver condition called Familial Hepatic Lipidosis. These supplements might not be the best idea, as they can worsen the condition.
- Herbal Supplements: Some herbal supplements like ginkgo biloba, garlic, and St. John’s wort can cause problems for Cavaliers. They could interfere with medications or even be toxic. Always double-check with your vet before adding any herbal supplements to your pup’s routine.
Remember, each dog is unique, so again, it’s crucial to consult with a vet who knows your Cavalier King Charles Spaniel well. They can give you personalized advice on safe and helpful supplements for your furry friend.
Are supplements necessary for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels?
Supplements are not always necessary for Cavaliers. However, they can be beneficial in addressing specific health concerns or deficiencies. On top of that, they can add a small boost to your dog’s immune system, digestion, skin & coat health, and more.
Can supplements replace a balanced diet for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels?
No, supplements cannot replace a balanced diet. They are meant to complement it. A healthy doggy diet is all about a tasty mix of good-quality meat, wholesome grains or veggies, dog-friendly fruits, and a couple of treats here and there. Supplements are just a bonus!
Should I consult with a veterinarian before starting my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel on supplements?
Yes, you should always consult with your vet before giving your pup any type of meds or supplements. They can assess your Cavvy’s nutritional needs and determine which areas need a bit of a boost in the form of vitamins.